Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Post-Steve Jobs

Well, I overestimated the market reaction towards Steve Jobs ill health. I expected more negative reaction but the market was more sympathetic. I also overestimated the market reaction towards Obama Inauguration. I had expected a rally towards the end of the day.

That said, I still make some money from AAPL since the stock had been going south the last few days. Furthermore, towards the expiry day last Friday, three of the four credits spreads (AAPL, SPY, RTH) that I played made money. The last one was TGT - loss some here.

Last Friday, I played two fresh trades. Bought SPY Put and played credit spreads on SPY (apart from an existing AAPL Put). The plays were made based on the off-chance that the market would not be kind to Obama. It IS NOT kind to him ending significantly negative yesterday.

The market is oversold at the moment. It might want to test the Nov 2008 low. However, it may not have enough energy to test the Low soon. I have liquidated all my short positions for now - waiting to short again at the right moment.

Cheers !

PersianCat (Millionaire-in-progress)

No comments: