Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reflection - Who are you trading against?

In the initial period when I am still green in trading, I thought that when I play a trade, I am trading against other fellow traders. If I make money, they lose money. After going through some tough trades and reading more, I realise that I am trading against the Market Makers more than I am trading against fellow traders. And I thought I got that part right of my trading knowledge right !!!

Well, I am only partly right. As I gained more experience, when I played the right strategy at the right time, I realised that I no longer trade against the Market Makers. Actually, I am trading against myself - trading against my own trading rules, trading against my self-discipline, trading against my trading plan and trading with my greed and fear.

As the market is with me and my unrealised profits increased, I may be itchy enough to move my targets (not entirely wrong if I move the stop loss too) without placing the stop loss. The Greed sets in. I want to earn more. There were occassions when my profits started to slide and the charts showed a reversal, I keep hoping that the market will reverse again so that my profits will increase again. Very soon, my unrealised profits turned to losses. I keep hoping. As my losses increases, my Fear sets in. I fear that I lose more. I closed my position. The market then reversed. My confidence dwindled. I start to blame myself for a lot of things.

Thank God, I managed to overcome that challenge most of the time now and my trades improved. There are more challenges to overcome. It will take time. I need to be patient and persevere.

Till my next reflection ....

- PersianCat04 (Millionaire-in-progress)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi persian cat,

I truly identified with you! I am currently attending Mike Woo's class and am an extremely green trader. Yup! Already showing signs of fear, greed & hope that are the big No No for any professional trader.

Also wanna to affirm you of your transparency through your blog showing us your trades, mistakes & successes as you go along.

Kudos to you bro!

Tony Chai said...

Hi Rafee :

Another important trait is money management. No trade is sure-win that one would want to bet the whole farm on it.

Regards,

Tony Chai