Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Home Builders



$HGX - the housing index made a strong rally today. Lately, the home builders stocks have been resisting the downtrend eventhough the homebuilders industry had been bashed with continuing bad news (e.g. increasing inventory & increasing lower sales). At current market value, most homebuilder stocks are valued at a very low PE ratio (single digits).

However, what is interesting is that the median price of each houses sold had not dropped. Until and unless the price of houses sold drop, the continuing slide of the home builder stocks could not be justified further. As such, I believe the home builder stocks would get a reprieve it badly needed (as shown in today's rally).

I'm however, feel that the prices of houses sold would start to drop next year if not sooner. Depending on the severity of the drop in prices, it could impact consumer spending (which would impact the market in general)

I've been playing Bear Call Spread on BZH and RYL recently (typically in-the-money). I closed my sold leg yesterday with profits. But what make it more interesting is that my bought legs, which were negative before is now positive. I might close these positions tommorrow.

I would wait for a reversal signal before playing Bear Call credit spreads on the home builders again.

- PersianCat04 (Millionaire-in-progress)

No comments: